Monday, April 9, 2012

Made for You and Me

I just finished reading Made for You and Me by Caitlin Shetterly. It was my roadtrip book alongside A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, and even though I find it flat in parts, I really enjoyed the story of this small family's bust of an adventure to California...

In the story, many things happen to Caitlin and her husband. Most of those things are bad luck, but there are many examples of strength, determination, and flexibility, too. Within its pages is quoted a poem called "First Lesson" by Philip Booth...It resonated with me, so here it is:

Lie back, daughter, let your head
be tipped back in the cup of my hand.
Gently and I will hold you. Spread
your arms wide, lie out on the stream
and look high on the gulls. A dead-
man's-float is face down. You will dive
and swim soon enough where this tidewater
ebbs to the sea. Daughter, believe
me, when you tire on the long thrash
to your island, lie up, and survive.
As you float now, where I held you
and let go, remember when fear
cramps your heart what I told you:
lie gently and wide to the light-year
stars, lie back, and the sea will hold you.

No comments:

Post a Comment