Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Tri-State Area Misadventure - Savage Beauty & The Bolt Bus

Hello faithful readers! Sorry for the radio silence: my life is in a bit of flux right now and I have been without internet service for a few days....tomorrow I head off to Maine for two weeks and it will be glorious to get out of the city and into the most beautiful country....


Anyway. Last week I took the Bolt Bus from 30th Street Station in Philly up to New York City to visit a friend and go to see Savage Beauty, the Alexander McQueen exhibit, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. If you want an exceptional way to get between Washington D.C. and Boston, go and take the Bolt Bus!!! Between Philly and NYC the ticket is $12 each way, there is WiFi on the bus and plugs at each seat for your laptop. Amazing! (Now I have heard some horror stories about the Bolt Bus, such as drivers having to stop for 15 minutes so that they don't go over there 24-hour maximum driving time, or a/c being broken or WiFi being broken, but this did not happen to me, so I am a very contented customer.) Lastly, the Bolt Bus picks up and drops off in insanely convenient locations in Philly (30th Street Station) and NYC (34th & 8th) so that you can hop on and off the subway in both cities with very little effort....


On to the more interesting part of this misadventure....The Met and Savage Beauty.


  
Walking through the Met to the Savage Beauty gallery line...


Beginning of the line....at this point your wait will be: 1 hour and a half


At this point your wait will be: 1 hour
 

Amazing tiny medallions in gold!


Weiner Dog Deer......


 Amazing silver chasing and repousee!!!


At this point, your wait will be: 45 minutes


Beautiful golden beads....I want to make these


After you have waited in line for a really long time, the statues start to mock you.
 

Like this guy: look at that smirk!
 

Hey baby! Watch those rear claws!
 

I want my house to look like this painting

Before the next set of pictures are put up, a disclaimer. I was not allowed to take these photos, but I did anyway. I took them with the flash off, out of my purse. You will soon discover the angle of the photos is about hip level, looking up. I really hope I do not get in trouble for posting these!!! Let's see....

These photos go in order as if you were walking through the exhibit with me. There were several rooms that documented different sections of McQueen's career. An interesting sidenote: many plaques contained quotes by McQueen and would lead you to believe that he thought he was God's gift to design. I find it interesting that the curators chose these quotes, being that he later killed himself. It would seem that either he did not really feel that way about himself, or the struggle of being expected to be the most important designer on Planet Earth became too much.

Anyway......


























 
Amazing. If you can get to the Met before August 7th, go! It is well worth the wait in line. The curators have done an amazing job and created an eerie environment in which you are immersed in the ideas and romanticism of the clothing. It will also make you question why he decided to end his life: his talent, creativity and resources were so massive, how could he give that up? I wonder what he would have done had he stayed with us....


Hans Christian Andersen storytelling area in Central Park: see the sleeping fellow? He is my favorite part....

No comments:

Post a Comment